What is DeviceHub?
DeviceHub contains drivers for PLC devices. Drivers are the primary mechanism for connecting to and collecting data from physical devices on the LoopEdge network. The drivers use the message broker system to collect and publish data in OMA format through IPSO (Internet Protocol for Smart Objects) data topics.
How DeviceHub Works
Southbound vs Northbound:
- Southbound: Connections from DeviceHub to PLCs.
- Northbound: Connections from DeviceHub to the cloud.
What Can I Configure in DeviceHub?
DeviceHub consists of different features for connecting to devices and collecting data: Devices, Tags, Device Discovery, and Flows.
DeviceHub Feature Summary:
Devices: View connected devices and set up to new device connections.
Tags: Create IPSO topics for reading, writing, and polling device registers. You can copy tags for each purpose here.
Device Discovery: Find devices connected to the same network as the LoopEdge network.
Flows: A visual language that enables custom functions and procedures for PLC data collection and publishing.
The Message Broker and IPSO
The LoopEdge message broker uses IPSO Topics. Devices publish messages to and receive data from IPSO Topics via the message broker. LoopEdge hosts the messaging broker system, and PLC devices act as clients for the message broker.
- For example, suppose that you create a Topic for an individual register of a PLC device on DeviceHub. The Topic will allow you to read data from the register from any location on the network by subscribing to the Topic.
Flows is a visual language that enables custom functions and procedures for PLC data collection and publishing.
- You can create Flows to quickly start viewing data from device in the native LoopEdge environment. This is the quickest way to start viewing data from PLC registers without setting up cloud connectivity.
- Flows allows data publishing to the cloud, to local files, or to the database through its easily customizable workflows.
Cloud Connectors enable cloud connectivity with LoopEdge. DataHub Cloud Connectors use MQTT protocol to securely push data to the cloud from LoopEdge.
- See the DataHub Overview for more information on how the DataHub feature works and how to start adding Cloud Connectors to LoopEdge.